How does music licensing work?

A musical performance is divided into two entities:

  • The composition: the song as written by authors and composers (the musical notes, the lyrics etc.)
  • The production, which consists of the artist's performance, the musician's performance, etc. (Tency Music in this case)
Both of these items are protected by law and require you to obtain permission to use each item respectively in your project.
The performance is usually copyrighted by the recording company that owns it, and the composition by the publisher of the song. For the composition aspect, you must either contact your local music rights societies (ASCAP, BMI or SESAC for the USA, PRS for the UK, BUMA for the Netherlands etc.) or the publisher of the song.
For the production aspect, please contact us to request a quote for licensing the use of our recorded performances.

Was this information helpful?