Can I license a song for use in (audio)visual media?

Because the use of an audio song, paired with some form of visual media, can have a strong impression on the consumer, the licenses necessary for this use are a bit different. You must acquire the masters rights in addition to the synchronization rights for the particular song.

At Tency Music, we can offer you the masters rights (similar to the production license) for a particular song. This is the permission needed to use a licensed sound recording in some form of visual media. Note that the masters rights must be paired with the synchronization rights in order for the usage to be legal.

Synchronization rights allow the user to use a song in synchronization with visual images. These rights must be obtained by the owner of the musical composition (i.e. the publishing company).

Was this information helpful?